Demand Planning: Does it Belong in the Supply Chain Cloud or On-Premise?
By Brad Van Zeeland, Senior Solutions Architect, CSS International, Inc.
To successfully compete in today’s global business environment, enterprises must optimize their supply chain management. A core element of that optimization is demand planning, that complex process that gives enterprises visibility into their forecasting. The streamlining of demand planning in fact plays a crucial role in achieving the ultimate goal, which is to accurately predict demand, forecast revenue and maximize profits for each channel of the supply chain.
To achieve that goal, it’s vital to choose the best demand planning solution for your enterprise’s unique needs. By making the right choice, strategically speaking, your business can effectively forecast and manage customer demand, efficiently delivering products. Streamlining processes also allows you to boost cash flow and shape profitability.
Additional benefits include efficient turns of inventory and order fills as your demand planning dovetails with marketplace activity. To help your enterprise achieve this level of success, it’s important to analyze advantages of Cloud solutions as well as examples of when on-premise integration of demand planning into internal IT infrastructures may make sense—and then we’ll provide a closer look at Demantra.
Demand Planning in the Cloud: Four Key Benefits
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO): Cloud-based demand planning solutions eliminate the need for you to pay for IT infrastructure management or other associated costs.
- Access to Real-Time Data: Because your systems are integrated, you have streamlined access to precisely the data you need, available exactly when needed. Operational costs are reduced, and communication is boosted, both internally and externally.
- Streamlined Response Time: This is true even in volatile markets as your team accesses demand signals in real time and can respond quickly.
- Avoid Business Interruption: Finally, your enterprise benefits from seamless upgrades. This allows you to continue doing business during upgrade periods, fulfilling customer orders and reaping the profits. Upgrades occur with as little business interruption as possible, typically during non-business days or, if during a business day, during non-peak hours.
Oracle Cloud Demand Management
Oracle Cloud Demand Management leverages Oracle’s IP in which Demantra On-Prem was founded. Advanced capabilities, which are similar to Demantra, include:
- Configurable aspects:
- hierarchies that support demand aggregation and disaggregation
- metrics and workbenches
- Enhanced aspects:
- statistical capabilities
- Ability to streamline demand management daily functions using management by exception
- Simulation capabilities
Oracle Cloud Demand Management empowers users because the application experience can be navigated without the need for technical assistance and support. This allows for a lower TCO.
Benefits of Demand Management in the Cloud
- Customer-centric solutions
- Common foundation supporting Supply Planning & Demand Planning
- Streamlined operational efficiencies
- Productivity improvements
- Faster implementations
- Additional cost savings
- Improved customer service
- Boosted security
On-Premise Demand Planning
There are times when, for example, an enterprise may have business requirements which lend to choosing an on-premise solution. Functionality within the Oracle Cloud solution is being added rapidly, so the functionality delta between Cloud Demand Management and Demantra is narrowing with each passing month. Demantra is a very mature product, and subsequently has the capability to support complex business requirements.
Demantra Demand Planning
If your enterprise needs a demand management application that will help your business to operate efficiently and effectively grow—or even aggressively grow—Oracle’s Demantra is an excellent choice to drive business value along the entire supply chain management process. Demantra is considered best in class, and extends beyond the advanced features of Demand Management and event driven planning.
Capabilities Differences Within Demantra
- Robust Trade Promotion Management
- Service Parts Forecasting
Organizations with highly mature Promotion Management or Service Parts Forecasting will be a better fit for Demantra at this time. Outside of these advanced functions, Oracle Cloud Demand Management measures up very comparatively to Demantra.
Strategic Goals and Operations Align
For enterprises today to be profitable, they must dovetail operations with strategic goals. Demand Planning, fortunately, allows enterprises to analyze consumer demand in real time at its most granular level. Analyses can occur closer to consumption points to provide an overall user experience that is tightly integrated.
The CSS Advantage
Our consultants have an average of 20 years of experience in implementing demand planning tools, and combine the very best of Oracle Demantra with hands-on deep industry knowledge of supply chain management applications. The result: professional support that keeps your business moving forward, both strategically and from a daily operational standpoint. Our low turnover assures consistency of resources for every project, including yours.
Take Your Demand Planning to a New Level
CSS will provide your enterprise with a customized holistic solution specifically tailored to your demand management needs, filling in the gaps and giving you visibility over your entire global supply chain. We also collaborate with Oracle to create new tools for our customers, industry specific to provide even more visibility to production, logistics, inventory availability, and more in the consumer goods industry.